Re: Xserver didn't start

Mike Chandler wrote:

Hi Kent, as long as you're in here, can I ask a question?
Does gpm not work with a usb wheel mouse?
I install gpm, then do dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 (change to /dev/gpmdata) restart X and the mouse is frozen.
Thanks...

Yes, it will, but I think there's been some changes between stable and sid, and/or between 2.2 and 2.4 and 2.6, so I'm not sure exactly what's needed (iow, I'd have to tinker to figure it out).

You have to set the repeat type in "gpmconfig" (or manually in /etc/gpm.conf and then restart gpm); the official repeat type I believe is supposed to be "ms3" (there's a thread from this list about 4 or 8 months ago in which the author of gpm, or a quote from him which was posted, explained which protocol should be used (not "raw", even though everyone seems to think that works best). You have to get the protocol in gpm and in X to play nice with each other.

I think with the 2.6 kernel the "correct" device to read from is no longer /dev/psaux and/or /dev/gpmdata, but rather /dev/input/mice for both systems, but I'm afraid I don't know exactly what's what in regards to this development.

But to reiterate, yes, gpm and X can both play nicely when using a USB wheel mouse. You just gotta get all your ducks lined up in a row.

--
Kent