Re: Reading ppt files

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 20:14:57 -0400, Carl Fink <carl@fink.to> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 18, 2004 at 01:41:14PM -0500, Jacob S. wrote:
>
> > If all else fails, OpenOffice can read PowerPoint files. I say "if all
> > else fails", because OO is fairly bloated and pretty slow.
>
> Without disagreeing, I can testify that it does an excellent job of reading
> PowerPoint files -- in some ways it's more compatible than MS PowerPoint.
> (It can read comments from both 2002 and 2000 versions, which PP2000 can't.)

I like to add to that a nice litle feature. My boss got an ppt file
from someone the other day, which he wanted to make some changes in,
but he was not allowed to due to some restriction on embedded fonts
which was read-only or something.

I just loaded the file in OO, exported it as ppt, the newest version
available in OO, and, voila, when he loaded the file back in
PowerPoint, everything was ok!

So, OpenOffice is good for lots of things.

Take care,
- Mandus