Re: Reading ppt files

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 20:14:57 -0400
Carl Fink <carl@fink.to> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 18, 2004 at 01:41:14PM -0500, Jacob S. wrote:
>
> > If all else fails, OpenOffice can read PowerPoint files. I say "if
> > all else fails", because OO is fairly bloated and pretty slow.
>
> Without disagreeing, I can testify that it does an excellent job of
> reading PowerPoint files -- in some ways it's more compatible than MS
> PowerPoint. (It can read comments from both 2002 and 2000 versions,
> which PP2000 can't.)--

Sure, as long as you have a decent computer. But it is still the slowest
program I've found in Linux, as far as how long it takes it to startup.
And if you're stuck with an old laptop, say 133Mhz and 96MB of ram...
you can do e-mail, web browsing and most other things without too much
trouble - even Acrobat, provided the file isn't too many pages, but OO
is out of the question.

Nevertheless, I use OO quite often. Hopefully the developers will
continue their good work and it'll get even better. In the meantime
though, it's not my favorite program. :-)

Jacob

--
GnuPG Key: 1024D/16377135

Random .signature #61:
Linux: Because rebooting is for adding hardware
Solaris: Because you don't need to reboot to add hardware
Windows: Because rebooting is for adding hardware, adding software,
regularly scheduled downtime, and should also be done on a daily basis
to keep the machine running.