Re: Debian equivalent for RedHat 9 X login manager startup

On Fri, Jun 18, 2004 at 02:23:33AM -0400, Michael B Allen wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 16:00:59 +1000
> James Sinnamon <jps@westnet.com.au> wrote:
>
> >  Dear Debian users,
> >
> > In RedHat Linux 9.0 the X login manager (and eventually KDE)
> > is started at boot-up time from the following line in /etc/inittab:
> >
> > x:5:respawn:/etc/X11/prefdm
> >
> > Can anyone tell me the equivalent way to do this with Debian?
>
> Just install gdm, kdm, and/or xdm. An slang display will ask you which
> should be used by default. The login manager is started like any other
> service in /etc/init.d/. Debian doesn't have a different runlevel for X.
> There's just runlevel 2. So to start and stop X you just do /etc/init.d/*dm
> {stop,start,restart}. If you want to switch login managers do #
> dpkg-reconfigure gdm (or xdm, kdm) to get the slang option again.

To finish the explanation, debian has the startup/shutdown scripts in
/etc/init.d/ and for each runlevel a link to the script in
/etc/rc<rl>.d> where <rl> is the runlevel. A service starting with S
will be started for that runlevel (i.e run with the start parameter)
and a service starting with K will be stopped (run with stop). The are
ordered by the initial number, so S20ssh will be run as S20ssh start
before S99wdm.

Each of wdm/kdm/gdm installs a link in /etc/rc2.d/S99<manager> and then
on startup checks whether it is the default manager.

Another way to set the default without reconfiguring the package is to
edit /etc/X11/default-display-manager