When to add extra memory to a server

Hi!

I have a Debian server running (currently with 256MB RAM) and recently
it has slowed down quite a lot and it even hung once. I wondered if it
is needed to add some extra RAM, but I am not sure how to determine if
this is actually the problem.I tried to look with top and free and the last day about 1MB swap has
been in use. Would adding memory increase the performance of the
server?
Thanks in advance for pointing me into the right direction.

Kind regards,
Jasper Metselaar