Re: Debian equivalent for RedHat 9 X login manager startup

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 16:00:59 +1000
James Sinnamon <jps@westnet.com.au> wrote:

>  Dear Debian users,
>
> In RedHat Linux 9.0 the X login manager (and eventually KDE)
> is started at boot-up time from the following line in /etc/inittab:
>
> x:5:respawn:/etc/X11/prefdm
>
> Can anyone tell me the equivalent way to do this with Debian?

Just install gdm, kdm, and/or xdm. An slang display will ask you which
should be used by default. The login manager is started like any other
service in /etc/init.d/. Debian doesn't have a different runlevel for X.
There's just runlevel 2. So to start and stop X you just do /etc/init.d/*dm
{stop,start,restart}. If you want to switch login managers do #
dpkg-reconfigure gdm (or xdm, kdm) to get the slang option again.

Mike

--
Greedo shoots first? Not in my Star Wars.