Re: Problem with kernel boot with version 2.4.25 or later

On Thu, Jun 17, 2004 at 01:13:56AM -0800, Scott A. Henderson wrote:
> The following is how I compiled the kernel
>
>    * tar jxf kernel-source-2.4.18.tar.bz2
>    * ln -s /usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.18 linux
>    * cd /usr/src/linux
>    * cp /boot/config-2.4.18-bf2.4 ./.config
>    * make-kpkg clean
>    * make-kpkg --config menuconfig kernel_image

If you are using /boot/config-2.4.18-bf2.4 unchanged, you need to
include the "--initrd" option when you compile the kernel:

      make-kpkg --initrd --config menuconfig kernel_image

I relooked at config-2.4.18-bf2.4 and see that ide and ext3 support is
already set so you should not need to change any of those.

To compile the kernel with "make-kpkg --config menuconfig kernel_image"
make sure your .config includes:

# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_INITRD is not set

> I understand a little about initrd now but I am not sure how the config
> options would be tweaked or even which ones to tweak.  I tried removing
> the initrd from the configuration but this had no effect on the issue.
> I also looked at what I thought was the config options  for the ide and
> this appeared to be compiled into the kernel so I left these unchanged.
> It is also completely possible that I looked at the wrong config options.
>
> Some guidance on what options should be tweaked from the default bf24
> config would be helpful.
>
> Thanks
>

> Silvan wrote:
>
> >On Wednesday 16 June 2004 09:19 pm, Scott A. Henderson wrote:
> >

> >>If I follow this you removed the initrd support from the "Block Devices"
> >>menu option.  The default configuration is to have this "built-in"
> >>
> >>I am not sure I understand the second part o this referring to IDE and
> >>ext3 those from what I can tell are part of the configuration already.
> >>Can you clarify this point.
> >>

> >The weird reiser messages you saw probably meant you were having trouble
> >with your initrd.  (How did you compile the kernel anyway?  Did you use
> >make-kpkg or do it from scratch?)
> >
> >The other poster said that he just got around his own initrd troubles by
> >getting rid of the need to have an initrd entirely.
> >
> >It's an initial ramdisk, a mechanism that makes it possible to compile
> >everything in a kernel as modules, and then load the necessary modules at
> >boot time.  You don't need one if the modules you need in order to boot
> >(in order to gain access to your root filesystem) are compiled directly
> >into the kernel.  This will normally *not* be the case if you're starting
> >off with Debian's own config, so you'll need to tweak these options.
> >(Change from M to Y.)
> >

> --
> Scott Henderson
> Finite Technologies Incorporated
> 3763 Image Drive, Anchorage, Alaska 99504
> Phone: 907.337.2860, Fax: 907.333.4482
> http://www.finite-tech.com
> http://www.chillywall.com
> http://www.virtuale.cc