Re: Pros/Cons Kde vs Gnome?

> The hell with the money.  There are people running Linux on P-II 450MHz
> systems that can't even carry more than 512MB RAM.  That's half their
> memory, right there.

I'm running a 512 MB box and typically have three KDE users logged in at any
given time.

Looking at memory with KInfoCenter -> Memory (the only thing I can actually
understand... sorry), it breaks down like (I'm reading this in motion, so
these won't exactly add up):

Total Free Memory:    42%
Used Swap:            27%
Used Physical Memory: 33%

Free Physical Memory: [varying too fast to read because I'm compiling
                       a program]
Disk Cache:           31%
Application Data:     [ranging from a low of 30% to a high of 66%]

Free Swap:            58%
Used Swap:            41%

I've got three users with three KDE sessions running:

->who|wc -l
3

->ps aux|grep kicker
hoohoo    2424  0.0  1.6 31632 8556 ?        S    Jun11   2:34 kdeinit: kicker
dilly    10642  0.0  0.8 28848 4144 ?        S    Jun12   0:07 kdeinit: kicker
chacha   14996  0.0  1.8 28508 9216 ?        S    Jun13   0:02 /usr/bin/kicker

I've personally got six Konsoles, 12 instances of OpenOffice, a GIMP, 18
Konquerors, KSnapshot, KAMix, KGhostView, KMail, two Cervisias, one
Rosegarden, one KDict, one QJackCtl, countless makes and gccs and g++s, and a
partridge in a pear tree.  I'm not even getting any xruns out of JACK in
spite of all this.

It would be pointless to buy more RAM for this box, and it isn't necessary to
force my users to settle for something crappy.  Let them have their eyecandy.

I'm using up a lot of RAM, and I have a fair amount of idle tasks swapped out,
but so what?

Anyway, to answer the original question, nothing will happen if you get rid of
either KDE or GNOME or both.  I don't have GNOME installed here, but I can
still run the GIMP and the handful of other GTK+ apps I use.  The reverse is
surely true.

--
Michael McIntyre  ----   Silvan <dmmcintyr@users.sourceforge.net>
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/