LCD monitor and VGA/DVI-A vs DVI-D interface & 25ms vs 16ms LCD refresh

I'm guessing that when using a DVI-D interface (digital, as opposed to
analog), then you get a more solid display - ie. no subtle flicker,
which looks to me like a refresh artifact (it's very very subtle, and
only noticable with the standard X background, and if I look at it in
just the right way)?

BTW, to get rid of more noticeable flicker/ refresh artifact, I changed
my XF86Config-4 Display section to the specific horizontal and vertical
frequencies that, according to /var/log/XFree86.0.log, the monitor
supports.

Why is it, that X can't figure out this information automatically? (It
seems to assume that the highest supported frequency is the one to use,
which is not the case for LCDs - where you typically always want 60Hz.)

Also, what's the difference between a 25ms and 16ms refresh on an LCD -
ie. for LCDs that only support 25ms, are they actually only refreshing
at 40Hz ???

tia
zen