Re: Problem with GDM setting ugly system fonts

On Thu, Jun 17, 2004 at 10:15:49AM +0100, Piers Kittel wrote:
> Micha,
>
> Well, I was using KDM before and the fonts were perfect - when I switch
> back to KDM, the fonts are fine, but when I switch to GDM the fonts goes
> ugly.  But anyway, tried your method, but when I do an "startx" it loads
> xcfe - how do I get startx to load windowmaker?

try:
cat "exec windowmaker" > ~/.xsession
chmod +x ~/.xsession

Also to play around with the dpi to see if that is the problem you can
run
startx -- -dpi 100

If all this solves the problem then we can go back to gdm and see what
its doing wrong.

You could also try starting X through gdm and through kdm and each time
do a ps ax after startup and see if there is a difference in the
running programs, could be kdm is starting some server in the
background (I know evolution had really ugly fonts for me until I
found out I had to start gnome-settings-daemon).