getting X standard background with metacity

Does anyone know how to get the standard black/gray X backround when
using:

 - unstable/ sid
 - metacity
 - gnome
 - NOT nautilus (I don't run this!)!

I've run "xsetroot", but it doesn't make sense to put it in .bashrc - it
will be re-run for every shell (and I have a lot in my session).

The other problem with xsetroot is that (the last time, though not this
morning surprisingly) it changed not only the background but the cursor
too - and I happen to like the nice GNOME cursors.

TIA
zen