Re: getting X standard background with metacity

To those on CC: I want:

sid/unstable
 + gnome2
 + gdm
 + NOT Nautilus
 + "standard X gray-fence style desktop background, as produced with
xsetroot"
 + "gnome cursors, for which default cursor is turned into ugly X cursor
by xsetroot"
 + NO image background - I'm trying to get a snappy/ no flicker system

I have set:
 - GDM "standard greeter" with no background (nice X background :)
 - on logging in, something sets deep blue background pattern (ugh!)
 - xsetroot goes back to nice X background, but gives ugly cursor

If you know how to keep nice X background, that'd be bloddy great, mate!

---
On Thu, 2004-06-17 at 14:40, Micha Feigin wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 17, 2004 at 07:01:01AM +1000, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
> > Does anyone know how to get the standard black/gray X backround when
> > using:
> >
> >  - unstable/ sid
> >  - metacity
> >  - gnome
> >  - NOT nautilus (I don't run this!)!
> >

> The gray fence like background is actually just a no background
> setting. I am not sure if its possible the get it with metacity, check
> the gnome settings panel, it has settings for metacity, and check if
> you can just disable the background completely.

Doesn't have such option.

I've also unselected:

gconf-editor -> /desktop/gnome/background/draw_background

which is probably why xsetroot setting is kept, but the
background still gets plastered with some deep blue color
every time I log in.

I guess it really depends if there is a matacity/ gnome
theme value for "no background", as I suspect each theme
has to specify background - or perhaps it's just Metacity.

> > I've run "xsetroot", but it doesn't make sense to put it in .bashrc - it
> > will be re-run for every shell (and I have a lot in my session).
>
> xsetroot is meant to be run from your session. I am assuming you are
> using gnome-session,

correct

>  there should be a setting to add a custom program,

I'll look into that, but again, I don't like the X cursor.

> but I think you can set the background directly from gnome (or metacity)

Come to think of it, setting the desktop background image
setting doesn't actually for me - since I don't run Nautilus
I think. I believe therefore that background image drawing
is delegated to Nautilus, which I don't run., or do a
> screen capture with some other setting with no background, cut out a
> small square and set a tiled background.

But there's still this issue of getting the background color being drawn
upon logging in.

I think it is a session thing, because GDM (with standard greeter)
selected does not draw the background. It's only on login.

> > The other problem with xsetroot is that (the last time, though not this
> > morning surprisingly) it changed not only the background but the cursor
> > too - and I happen to like the nice GNOME cursors.
>
> >From the cursors it seems that gnome changes appearances, so its
> probably setting also the background somewhere, check the panel.

What panel?

My gnome-panel ("start bar") properties -> background is set to "none
(use system theme)".

> I am guessing that you can't get the default background with your
> settings, the closest you can get is setting a gray background, or do a
> screen capture with some other setting with no background, cut out a
> small square and set a tiled background.

I don't like those options...

Thanks for your help
Zen