Re: ndiswrapper as a module

On Wed, Jun 16, 2004 at 08:18:47AM -0600, Marvin Gerardo Aguero Salazar wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> I was so exhited when I read your mail that got me thinking everything
> was going to work just fine. Unfortunately it didn't work, at least it
> didn't create the famous version.h file.

It didn't create the version.h file??? Just to make sure, here are the
steps I _just_ followed to create a version.h file.

	- unpack kernel sources in your directory of choice (I run
	  2.4.26)
	- cd kernel-source-2.4.26
	- cp /boot/config-2.4.26 .config
	- make oldconfig
	- make dep
	- I have a include/linux/version.h file right now

If any of these steps fail, please include some output. If no steps
fail, attach the output of `find . -name version.h'.

If any of this looks strange and unrelated to what you have been doing,
please post a detailed list of the steps you performed.

> I had read the README.Debian file you mentioned, but I am very new to
> this Linux/Debian world that the information on this file didn't make
> sence to me. I guess I'll have to read again about the make-dpkg.

Well, you could, but you can first try by hand.

> Oh God!! Sometimes I wonder if all this pain is worth it. I mean, in the
> Microsoft world all this stuff is sooooo easy. :)

Well, to me it is. As for the pain, that depends on your hardware. For
example, for every piece of hardware there is a cd with windows drivers
and/or programs: network cards, video cards, scanners, usb drives,
printers, etc. etc. etc. My network card is detected by discover. By
scanner is detected by hotplug and sane. My usb drive is discovered by
hotplug. For my video card, I selected 'radeon' and it all works out of
the box. No need to reboot, just run `sudo /etc/init.d/discover
restart'. Under windows, I had to pop in all cds, install everything
etc. etc. etc.

Yes, ndiswrapper irritates me, but then, it works, :-) And after you
have played some more with make-kpkg, it is not much work to get it
working... But that is in hindsight, as it usually is, ;-)

I sent a CC to the list, more people might be able to add some helpful
comments, ;-)

David

--
Hi! I'm a .signature virus. Copy me into
your ~/.signature to help me spread!