Re: dual boot with lilo

On Wed, 2004-06-09 at 14:02, Mike M wrote:
> It worked!

Great to hear!

> > > install grub on a floppy (perhaps it can be installed onto a bootable CD
> > > if you don't have a floppy drive, if so, that will be just as useful).
> >
> > CD, no floppy
>
> A bit of a pain to make a bootable grub CD.  Here's an outline:
<snip>

Thanks for posting your instructions.

> Another layer of magic peeled back. More _power_.

That's exactly how I felt the day I discovered grub.

> I was able to boot OSs in both the ntfs and ext2 partitions. The Woody
> install continued on its merry way.

:)

That's what we wanted to hear - so now whatever happens with your
boot sector, you can still go and boot up any old partition that
happens to have something bootable on it.

BTW, I think that the new debian-installer (for sid/unstable)
comes with grub as default - which might make new SID install CDs
particularly valuable as a rescue CD. Here's hopin.

You might also want to check out one or more of these debian
packages (at least available in unstable/sid) - debian is just
cool for tech-heads:

dfsbuild
grubconf
debootstrap
cdebootstrap
mkrboot
nfsbooted (one day when I've got time :)

cheers
zen