Re: dual boot with lilo

On Tue, Jun 08, 2004 at 08:33:32PM -0400, Mike M wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 09, 2004 at 09:21:37AM +1000, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
> > On Wed, 2004-06-09 at 08:46, Mike M wrote:
> > > I have a laptop that I am trying to dual boot.
> >
> > should be easy :)
> >
> > Step 1: create a GRUB boot disk.
> > Step 2: learn to boot from your grub boot disk.
> > Step 3: boot from your grub boot disk.
> >
> > It will save your life (well, at least your sanity). It can be used to
> > boot any kernel installed anywhere on your hard disk, and also to
> > chainload an alternate partition.
> >
> > Did I mention GRUB will save your life?
>
> Well. Since you put it that way, I'm going to give it a try.

It worked!

> <snip>>
> > install grub on a floppy (perhaps it can be installed onto a bootable CD
> > if you don't have a floppy drive, if so, that will be just as useful).
>
> CD, no floppy

A bit of a pain to make a bootable grub CD.  Here's an outline:

1. get legacy grub from gnu.org using cvs

$ export CVS_RSH="ssh"
$ cvs -z3 -d:ext:anoncvs@savannah.gnu.org:/cvsroot/grub co grub

2. configure and make

$ cd grub
$ ./configure /* lot's of options; see --help; I used no options */
$ make
$ ls

3. create boot floppy

Note: luckily I have a desktop Linux box with /dev/fd0

$ su -
# cd /home/user/grub/stage1

insert floppy

# fdformat /dev/fd0 /* important; I seem to have lots of bad media */
# dd if=stage1 of=/dev/fd0 bs=512 count=1
# cd ../stage2
# dd if=stage2 of=/dev/fd0 bs=512 seek=1

4. create file image of floppy

# dd if=/dev/fd0 of=boot.img bs=10k count=144

5. create bootable ISO form floppy image

# mkisofs -r -b grubboot.img -c boot.cat -o grubboot.iso ./

6. create CD using grubboot.iso

This information was compiled from the following sources:
http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/
http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue64/kohli.html
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?s=&threadid=140074&highlight=grub

> > Booting off a floppy or CD, with grub, is an excellent experience that
> > knowing it will save you digital life one day (and by the sound of it,
> > that day might be today :).

Another layer of magic peeled back. More _power_.

I was able to boot OSs in both the ntfs and ext2 partitions. The Woody
install continued on its merry way.

--
Mike

Moving forward in pushing back the envelope of the corporate paradigm.