Re: dual boot with lilo

On Wed, Jun 09, 2004 at 03:40:01PM +1000, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-06-09 at 14:02, Mike M wrote:
>
> Thanks for posting your instructions.

Now I know where to look for them.

The mkisofs is a thing of wonder.  The man page is huge and
full of mystical concepts. I am not qualified to expound on
its use.  Nevertheless, I feel I should more fully qualify
that I put the .iso into a new directory and cd'd to the dir
before running mkisofs.

> BTW, I think that the new debian-installer (for sid/unstable)
> comes with grub as default - which might make new SID install CDs
> particularly valuable as a rescue CD. Here's hopin.

That answers a question that was brewing in my head, "Why
does Woody still use lilo when grub is the gnu way of the
future?" I presume the answer to be, "Woody is stable and
grub is not stable." The gnu grub site indicates this clearly
by stating the grub (known as legacy grub) is deprecated, and
grub2 is available from CVS only.  That's a pretty good
description of "not stable" IMO. grub2 would not complete
the configure operation on a Woody workstation because of
a library that was missing or outdated (LZO IIRC).

The whole situation with grub really helps me understand how
Debian uses the word "stable" in a precise and technical
manner.  Conversationally, "unstable" is often equivalent
to "undesirable".  The grub experience demonstrates that
the meaning of these two words must be kept independent.

Here's where I'm heading:
stable: servers
SID: workstation/laptop

> You might also want to check out one or more of these debian
> packages (at least available in unstable/sid) - debian is just
> cool for tech-heads:
>
> dfsbuild
> grubconf
> debootstrap
> cdebootstrap
> mkrboot
> nfsbooted (one day when I've got time :)

On this list when you ask a question you get six projects.

--
Mike

Moving forward in pushing back the envelope of the corporate paradigm.