Re: NEC2080UX+ - "Supported Future Video Modes"

On Wed, 2004-06-09 at 10:51, Alvin Oga wrote:
> hi ya zen
>
> experiment time

OKidoki.

> On Wed, 9 Jun 2004, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
>
> > My real question: how do I get 1600x1200 (the native resolution) out of
> > this thing?
>
> start at 102x768

I decided to give 102 a miss and go straight for 1024 :)

> than try 1280x1024
> than try 1600x1200
>
> use only one resolution so you know the screen size is supposed to be
> as you defined
> 	xdpyinfo | grep dimension

All the following tests are with Xinerama, so xdpyinfo returned twice a
single screens width for each test resp..

640x480 same problem (the problem being, the display (here 640x480)
works fine on the laptops inbuilt display, but this shimmering/ fuzzy
effect happens on the external LCD).

800x600 works for both screens - xdpyinfo returns dimension of 1600x600.

1024x768 same problem (internal works, external not).

1280x1024 works for both screens.

1600x1200 internal works, external not - but not shimmering, but looks
like it's trying to render 1600 pixels at only 1280, and doing a
particularly bad job of antialiasing or something: so it's almost
impossible to read.

Perhaps XF86 is somehow trying to display 1600 at higher-than-60Hz ??
The LCD can only display 1600x1200 at 60Hz according to the manual,
which is also its native and "optimal" resolution.

> > The display is fuzzy - as in actively blurry like a CRT scanning at the
> > wrong frequency or something (it's not just out of focus) - at all but
> > 1024x768 (or something near that).
> >
> > According to the NEC manual, specs are:
> >
> > Section "Monitor"
> >    Identifier  "NEC"
> >    DisplaySize 410   310   # mm
> >    HorizSync   31.5-91.1
> >    VertRefresh 50-85
> >    VendorName  "NEC"
> >    ModelName   "LCD2080UX+"
> >    Option      "DPMS"
> > EndSection
>
> make sure that stanza corresponds to your XF86Config file

Actually, the manual just had the H/V sync rates, and the
above is straight from my XF86Config-4 - I just checked the
CD-manual though, and the figures are correct.

> 	- check the dpms too

How do I check this?

I tried commenting out the two DPMS lines (one for each screen) and
running at 1600 (Xinerama) but this had no effect:

produces the same effect - internal LCD works, external is really bad
antialiasing at lower res, so cannot read.

> 	- i'd comment out DisplaySize and see what happens

I have done so. No effect.

> wrong settings for the lcd probably wont hurt it

If I comment out the above sync/refresh numbers, the same results occur
(works in 800x600, not in others, etc).

> wrong setting for old fashion crt tube might let out the nice blue
> perfume, after which, it wont work anymore

Good to know.

Thanks
Zen