Re: Dear Debian Maintainers (usability)

On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 15:45:40 -0700
dking@pimpsoft.com wrote:

> I have to agree; Most users are just that, users.  If you want them
> to mature into fellow developers and grow in both ability and
> willingness to help, the community and most of all the people with
> the power to directly manage it need to come together and support
> that end goal in others by making them WANT to stay.

At the same time, if you want the current developers to continue
to do so, and to continue to commit truly *enormous* amounts of
their personal time and effort to the preparation of an operating
system that you get for absolutely free, then all of us need to
not act like the developers are at our beck and call, providing
us something to which we are entitled.  While I wouldn't have
added the "wah wah wah!" part, I, too, found the post to which
Jaldhar Vyas replied to be a bit selfish in tone; and I know
that if I was putting tons of time into developing Debian and
then read something like that, I'd be pretty annoyed too.

> I cant control the publics opinions of individual peoples actions,
> but I can remind you that every action, insult, and retort made here
> is mirrored and public all around the world.. If you want to be seen
> as arrogant or insulting and brave the wraith of a community that
> does not like attacks on it, that's up to you.

It's interesting.  I tend to think of members of the "free software"
or "open source" communities as being people who are investing or
have invested a lot of time and effort into its development.  I don't
really think that describes me at this point, so I don't assert my
"membership" in same.  Given that you're speaking for that community,
I presume it describes you?  It certainly describes the person to
whom you're giving a lecture about that community.

-c

		(remove "snip-me." to email)