Re: trouble installing kde

J. Preiss wrote:

Hi all,
currently it seems that I have a similar problem: I wanted to have kdm as display manager (please! no hints aboutdisplay and windowmanagers, ok?). I selected it with dpkg-reconfigure kdm... and it does not work. I only can start kde by calling startx, not as runlevel default login. Is this a bug? When I call dpkg-reconfigure kdm and select gdm, startkde tells me lots of errors about the missing display. but anyway, I wanted kdm :-)

I'm a little confused about what you've said above, so if I'm covering old ground, my apologies.

Install kdm (such as with "apt-get install kdm").

Select kdm (the above step should have asked, or you can run "dpkg-reconfigure kdm"; sometimes I've found that you have to select a different display manager, such as gdm, then rerun the command again and select kdm).

Start kdm (either by rebooting, or by running "/etc/init.d/kdm start").

If that does not work, we'll need more precise error messages about what went wrong when and where.

--
Kent