Re: Re: .bash_profile problems under gnome

> I had this problem for months with one box.
> Perhaps yours is that easy too.

nope, the shell is set correctly.

[acs@newton acs]$ grep acs /etc/passwd
acs:x:1000:1000:Adam Siepel,,,:/home/acs:/bin/bash

> Make sure your ~/.xsession file is executable.
>
>   chmod a+x ~/.xsession
>
> Otherwise it won't be executed.  It will be run 'sh .xsession' which
> uses /bin/sh regardless of your normal shell and it won't be a login
> shell.

permissions look good.

[acs@newton acs]$ ls -l ~/.xsession
-rwx------    1 acs      acs            60 Jun  7 08:59 /home/acs/.xsession*

I must be missing something here.  If the .xsession is executed, rather
than sourced, why would the environment be inherited anyway?

[acs@newton acs]$ cat .xsession
#!/bin/sh

export XSESSION_READ=true
source ~/.bash_profile
[acs@newton acs]$ sh .xsession
[acs@newton acs]$ echo $XSESSION_READ
 <nothing>
[acs@newton acs]$ source .xsession
[acs@newton acs]$ echo $XSESSION_READ
true

Do I need to explicitly start my window manager in .xsession so it's a
subprocess?  I guess it's currently getting started somewhere else...

Adam