Re: charset of ext3 drives

On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 16:26:17 +0200
"J. Preiss" <auba@af-i.de> wrote:

> I am at the point that cyrillic chars are always ????-displays (in
> text mode) and glyphs in graphic mode (konqueror). I changed the
> charset of konqi to utf8 without any change. Am I too stupid to use
> debian? Maybe...

Well, depending on what encoding the filenames (I suppose we're still
talking about filenames?) were before, you'll first have to convert them
to UTF8. There is a script somewhere that will do this similar to the
recode utility, but I can't find it right now.

If you have some files with single cyrillic characters in their names
followed by a "normal" character and that cyrillic char "eats" one to
three of the following chars, then the name is not encoded in UTF8.
Example (let's suppose y was a "non-standard" char for now):

File name: abcdyefgh
Displayed: abcd?fgh

On a real terminal (not a console emulator), you can try if the command
unicode-start helps. Inside KDE and other DMs, make sure you can type
the characters you need properly and whether files you create are
displayed properly. If this is so, all you need to do is to look for a
proper console charset and fonts, and of course convert the filenames.

> I think my main problem is, that I dont know whom to ask for what. Is
> it a problem of X, Display Manager, Kde at all, Konqueror, a mount
> problem... it could be everything.

Well, essentially it *is* everything, but in most cases, the solutions
are very similar.

X, DM, KDE: needs proper fonts
KDE: needs locale set
mount: as mentioned, the FS doesn't care what encoding you're using :-)
console: good luck

--
Got Backup?

Jabber: Shadowdancer at jabber.fsinf.de