matlab on debian

Hi

I have finally installed debian instead of the former redhat. Unfortunately, matlab runs only partly now. I can't use linux commands and copy and paste don't work either. I am running kernel 2.6.5 and KDE 3.2. Pts should be switched on.

This is the error message I get:

??? MATLAB was unable to open a pseudo-tty: No such file or directory [2,1]
The unix() and ! commands will not work in this MATLAB session.  Other
commands which depend upon unix() and ! will also fail.  Your system may
be running low on resources.  If the problem persists after a reboot,
check with your system administrator and confirm that your pty subsystem
is properly configured.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Please CC me on replies!

Cheers,