Re: DEBIAN WON'T BOOT

On Thu, Jun 03, 2004 at 10:06:44PM +0000, Tom Kuiper wrote:
> > From: "J M" <millionmillionaires@hotmail.com>

> > ... The debian load screen comes up, and the OS begins loading linux.bin
> > off of the boot disk i use, it then quits and says that it failed to
> > load the kernel, and it says I must 'switch' disk and retry, or eject
> > the disk and press 'restart'.

> It sounds to me like your hard disk has failed.  You might try using a
> rescue floppy and see if you can mount that disk.  Maybe you can
> recover something.

Actually, he's booting off a floppy now.  Note the reference to a boot disk.

It's enormously more likely that the floppy has a problem, than a hard
drive, just based on relative MTBF.

> > The only thing that I have done wrong is accidentally ejecting a disk
> > without unmounting ...

> I don't think ejecting an unmounted disk is the cause.  I've done that too.

But he ejected a *mounted* disk, not unmounted.

JM:  you need a new boot floppy.  The problem CANNOT be your hard disk,
since the system isn't getting past the kernel load.
--
Carl Fink		carlf@dm.net
Manager, Dueling Modems Computer Forum