very messed up reiserfs with bad blocks

Hi,

I have a problem with a reiserfs partition. Some days ago the drive
reported bad blocks, so I ran the badblocks program tried to fix the
filesystem with the badblocksoutput.

Assuming I fixed the badblock list with 'reiserfsck --badblocks' I tried
to access some (reported broken) files on that partition. This gave some
I/O errors, so I thought I had to rebuild the tree (reiserfsck --badblocks
--rebuild-tree). This failed, and the filesystem became unmountable (mount
fails with 'mount: Not a directory').

I ran another badblock scan, and the number of badblocks grew
substantially (from 11 in the first run to 177 in the second).
--rebuild-tree failed again and again.

Now the weird thing occured: running a third badblock scan didn't increase
the amount of badblocks (as I should expect, since the badblock program
runs on a lower level than the filesystem). It gave me 56 badblocks.

Now the following questions raised:
- what causes the amount of bad blocks to fluctuate?
- how can I access the filesystem again?

I know the drive is bad, so I am only into copying the contents off it as
soon as possible. I have the idea the file allocation table is corrupted.
Now --rebuild-tree won't help me, so I was hoping there is a backup of
this FAT on the drive somewhere. I couldn't find it, so how does one deal
with this thing under reiser?

Thanks a lot in advance!
Sebastiaan

--

English written by Dutch people is easily recognized by the improper use of 'In principle ...'

The software box said 'Requires Windows 95 or better', so I installed Linux.

Als Pacman in de jaren '80 de kinderen zo had be?nvloed zouden nu veel jongeren rondrennen
in donkere zalen terwijl ze pillen eten en luisteren naar monotone electronische muziek.
(Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, 1989)