Re: USB module causing lockups? (Was: Strange lockups in X)

I know this problem, too. At least at home everything freezes with a chance of
50% when I put in an USB drive. This was with kernel 2.4 (with backported usb
modules from Suse I think) and kernel 2.6 (suse and debian), and usb 1.1.
With usb 2 it seems to work now .
Nevertheless, when I copy more than about 50 MB, the hard drive freezes, but
not the system (only on suse at home, not on debian at work). Ok, its a
little bit OT, but maybe a hint to the cause of the problem (?)