Re: Reset sound card in alsa?

On Tuesday 01 June 2004 12:08 am, Mark Par wrote:
> On Mon, 31 May 2004 19:02:39 -0400, Paul Galbraith wrote:
> > Does anyone know of a way to reset (for lack of a better word) my
> > card so that I don't need to reboot the machine?  I'm using 2.4.25
> > kernel with sarge alsa packages.
>
> To restart alsa without rebooting your system, as root, you can say:
>     /etc/init.d/alsa restart

That hasn't been true since a bit back.  They decided that discover and
hotplug work well enough that /etc/init.d/alsa should no longer handle the
save/restore mixer settings.

It'll have to be done manually, which is an ugly process of trying to rmmod
things until you find something that something else doesn't need, whittling
the modules away layer by layer.  (Or if there *is* a better way, I'm all
ears.  I *miss* /etc/init.d/alsa restart.)

--
Michael McIntyre  ----   Silvan <dmmcintyr@users.sourceforge.net>
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/