Re: kernel upgrade: mkinitrd: module raid1 not found

Hi Justin,

Thanks for your help, I got it working now, but it is weird. This is what I
read at http://www.wlug.org.nz/SoftwareRaid:

"The most recent versions (eg LinuxKernel2.6) of the Debian kernel-image
packages build a new initrd image upon installation. They should
automatically notice if the root device is /dev/md* and arrange for the
appropriate modules to be present in the initrd image and loaded
appropriately. So if the software raid array is actually your root
filesystem when you do the kernel install, everything should just work."

and probably that's the problem: since I compiled raid support into my
kernel, it didn't have the raid modules and mkinitrd is being too smart,
trying to add the raid modules anyway.
Sounds like a bug to me.

But this is good news too, since root-on-raid now works with raid modules
and I can now use a stock kernel again. Problem solved!

Thanks
Bob