Re: broken cups in sid

richard lyons <richard@the-place.net> wrote:
>Unfortunately, I cannot duplicate this on my system.  I have the
>circular dependency problem
>   cupsys depends on libcupsys2 >=1.1.13-1
>   libcupsys2 conflicts with libcupsys2-gnutls10
>   cupsys depends on libcupsys2-gnutls10
>with a few complications with kdelibs4 and kdelibs3

Yep, same here. However, I was able to catch it before breaking things
by using dselect. Using dselect, it gave me a list of dependency
problems *prior* to doing anything about it. A CTRL-C to break out of
dselect without commiting any changes, and everything is still there.

>Let this be a[-nother] warning to those
>with working Knoppix based installations tracking testing not to get
>too adventurous and leap into unstable without good reason - and
>another computer to fall back on.

Instead, let this be another example that "unstable" is, in fact,
unstable! Sometimes, the maintainers don't hit everything on the
up-beat and it takes some cycles to get it worked out.

On the other hand, checking library dependencies prior to such a
change would be nice. Cups and KDE are a nice combination, I'm sorry
that Debian unstable is the only Linux distribution right now that
cannot handle both. I thought the nightly "whole system build" thing
would avoid problems like this, since everything has to be built with
the same libraries as are then packaged?

Next on the hit parade, why does cups have everything for my
HP-PSC2210, and the USB device viewer in KDE Control Panel sees and
recognizes the printer, yet cups doesn't see that any printer is
connected at all?

--
September 11th, 2001
planning advocates in American history