console keyboard setup question

I have a sarge system that was upgraded from woody a while back.  At some
point during an apt-get update/upgrade my keyboard and locale settings were
lost.

My console keyboard settings seem to have reverted to default, but  kbdconfig
returns "Looking for keymap to install: None".

I need to set my keyboard to german, and I'd like to keep the system language
english, but be able to display umlauts in directory and file names.  It
worked in woody, but I can't seem to get it working again, it doesn't seem to
be part of base-config anymore.

Any hints would be greatly appreciated,

Chris

--