Re: OT - trivial programming language

Is it perhaps time to take this argument off-list?  Just a thought.

Patrick

On Fri, 28 May 2004, Steve Lamb wrote:

:s. keeling wrote:
:> Indentation is syntactical in python.  No, I don't know why.
:
:    Better to ask why in most other languages there are two syntaxes.  One for
:the computer, one for the human.
:
:    This is legal:
:if (foo){bar;}lese{baz;}
:
:    So is this:
:if (foo)
:{
:bar;
:}
:else
:{
:baz;
:}
:
:    But we're taught to do this (or something like it):
:if (foo)
:{
:    bar;
:}
:else
:{
:    baz;
:]
:
:    So make the machine read that like the human does and take out the
:portions the machine needs and what are you left with?
:
:if (foo)
:    bar
:else
:    baz
:
:    If we're taught to code that way *anyway* then we should make it
:significant because it is.
:
:--
:         Steve C. Lamb         | I'm your priest, I'm your shrink, I'm your
:       PGP Key: 8B6E99C5       | main connection to the switchboard of souls.
: