Re: woody/sarge vs. stable/testing in sources.list

somebody said:
>>>systems every day.  I've been doing it on about 10 systems for about 2
>>>years, and haven't had a lot of trouble; indeed once my mail servers
>>> went
>>>down for a few hours for that reason, but my mail servers are always
>>> looking
>>>for an excuse to go down.
Use ssh-agent, and ssh2 public keys for passwordless login on your machines.
I use this method to update my servers every day in about 3 minutes.
http://cfm.gs.washington.edu/security/ssh/client-pkauth/

Just run monit or netsaint to monitor your machines, and you nullmailer to
mail you when a system is down.
Monit can even restart the service if it's puking.
monit is a debian package, you can download sample monit debian config
from here:

http:// www.cs.montana.edu/support/monit.debian.v1.tar.bz2
(note the space in address.)

I changed it from a monolithic config to a seperate config file for each
service so it's trivial to add services in for each system.
You juste need to include your service in monitrc and then edit
global_defines and stick it all in /etc/monit and you are good to go.

--
--Luke CS Sysadmin, Montana State University-Bozeman