Re: "presenter view" in OOo Impress

Matt Price wrote:

On Fri, May 21, 2004 at 10:30:12AM -0500, Kent West wrote:
Matt Price wrote:
In it, the author discusses a new "presenter tools" view in MS office,
which lets you see extra information on your laptop screen that isn't
passed on to the projector (this is for powerpoint, obviously).

This is something I would LOVE to emulate in openoffice "impress"
presentation software on debian.
Another idea might be to configure your laptop to use the projector as a second head, and configure X as a dual-head setup.

so, question:  Is it actually possible to run a different X session on
the projector?

Having never had a laptop I could experiment much with, I don't know. I came across something last week that led me to believe that a laptop essentially has a "second video card" which it uses for the external monitor, but I briefly experimented with an older laptop that led me to believe that was not the case at least with this laptop.

As I stop to think about it, I can't figure out how MS-Office could accomplish this without treating the projector as a second monitor. It seems to me that Office would be sending the same signal to a single video "chain", which then gets split by the laptop into the separate display devices. So if MS-Office is using a dual-head setup (via ties to the OS, I'm sure), then OO.o/X should be able to accomplish the same thing.

--
Kent