Re: "presenter view" in OOo Impress

On Fri, 2004-05-21 at 16:43 -0500, Kent West wrote:

> Matt Price wrote:
>
> >On Fri, May 21, 2004 at 10:30:12AM -0500, Kent West wrote:

> >>Matt Price wrote:

> >>Another idea might be to configure your laptop to use the projector as a
> >>second head, and configure X as a dual-head setup.
> >>

> >so, question:  Is it actually possible to run a different X session on
> >the projector?
> >

> Having never had a laptop I could experiment much with, I don't know. I
> came across something last week that led me to believe that a laptop
> essentially has a "second video card" which it uses for the external
> monitor, but I briefly experimented with an older laptop that led me to
> believe that was not the case at least with this laptop.

Most newer laptops which use ATI radeon or nvidia chipsets have this
dual head capability.

X does not currently seem flexible enough to switch between single head
and dual head on the fly though, so you either have to have dual head
running all the time, or restart X with a different XF86Config file when
you want to do this nifty sort of thing.

If someone came up with a way to make the second head map directly to a
virtual desktop, that would be massively sweet...

-Mark