Re: "presenter view" in OOo Impress

On Fri, May 21, 2004 at 10:30:12AM -0500, Kent West wrote:
> Matt Price wrote:
> >
> >In it, the author discusses a new "presenter tools" view in MS office,
> >which lets you see extra information on your laptop screen that isn't
> >passed on to the projector (this is for powerpoint, obviously).
> >
> >This is something I would LOVE to emulate in openoffice "impress"
> >presentation software on debian.  I wonder whether it might be
> >possible to do something tricky with X that makes this possible --
> >like, say, run one X session on the projector, a different one on the
> >laptop lcd, and then remotely access the projector screen from within
> >the laptop x session?  Does this sound plausible
> >
> >I'd love to hear opinions.
> >
> Sounds like it should work.
>
> Another idea might be to configure your laptop to use the projector as a
> second head, and configure X as a dual-head setup. Then you only have
> one X session, but you can move the Impress window to the second head
> (projector). Of course that means you'll have to watch the projection
> screen to follow along with your own presentation, so your method is
> probably better.

so, question:  Is it actually possible to run a different X session on
the projector?  On reflection, it seems impossible, since the
projector gets its signal from the laptop video out; if it's
configured as a dual-head setup, I getthe problem you described;
otherwise, the projector is a simple mirror of what happens on the lcd
screen.  Or do the vast complexities of x hide possibilities I haven't
dreamed of (well, I know they do, but possibilities that would HELP me
here...)?

thx as always,