Re: Help! mkinitrd does not work correct in Sarge anymore?!

Markus Kolb wrote:
> The initrds my installation builds with mkinitrd doesn't work on boot.
> It doesn't matter which kernel I use.

That sounds like a problem with mkinitrd.

> I alway see this message at boot:
> pivot_root: no such file or directory
> /sbin/init: 347: cannot open dev/console : no such file
> Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init !
>
> On another machine with Sid installed there has been no problem.
> So I copied an initrd from Sid machine to Sarge machine and Sarge can boot.

I think you may have been lucky that the kernel on your sid and sarge
boxes were the same.  Because the initial ram disk (initrd) contains
kernel modules which the kernel will load at boot time.  If the
modules are for a different kernel then they won't work.  So copying
an initrd around from machine to machine that has different kernels
won't normally work as far as I know.

> I thought: Maybe a bug which is corrected in Sid and installed
> initrd-tools, util-linux, e2fsprogs, e2fslibs from Sid in my Sarge.
> But that would be too simple.

Why would that be too simple?  I think it very likely the
explaination.

Bob