Re: intel scsi controller srczcr

John Hitzfelder wrote:
> Posted this yesterday but can't find it or any response - sorry if I missed
> it or the spam filter ate it.

I see that you are posting with both text/plain and text/html.  Please
turn off the text/html portion.  It is a strong spam sign and will
cause many people to discard the message without reading it.

> Pretty new to linux here, so bear with me.

Just keep asking questions.  Don't be put off by what appears as terse
reponses.  Everyone is just busy.

> Trying to install on a server with intel scsi controller srczcr.  I'm using
> woody/debian3.0r1 cd image to get started.

Fine.

> I try this with no boot arguments or by specifying kernel 2.4 using bf24 -
> same result.

Always use the bf24 image.  If the bf24 is old by today's standards
then the bf22 image is extremely ancient.

> The bios recognizes the scsi and I have the raid configured as required.  Of
> course it is not recognized.

What exactly does this mean?  By default Debian has no automatic
detection.  None whatsoever.  No devices are ever recognized.  So your
statement confuses me.  You might have installed the discover or
discover2 packages.  Those implement automatic hardware detection.
But the boot disk is too early for that.

> I try to load the module for the driver using either a cd built from the
> intel scsi cd or downloaded from intel support (link below) but on either
> case, the install routine says 'can't load the floppy'.

I am not familiar with the srczcr device.  Perhaps someone else will
know something about it.  Google found it here for me.  Looks spiffy.

  http://www.intel.com/design/servers/buildingblocks/srczcr/

It says "Debian* Linux 2.2r6" specifically in the supported list which
looks good.

> The message from dbootstrap says 'unable to mount the floppy, can't
> continue'.

How is a floppy involved in whatever proceedure you are trying to do?
Are you installing from floppies?  Can you install from a cdrom
instead?  Installing from a cdrom is much easier.

> The floppy is accessed.  Using the little shell on alt-f2, I can cd to the
> floppy, but it appears empty (might be my ignorance here, all that is listed
> is root created today when I ls -al).

I can't deduce what you are trying to do here.

Bob