here's how I installed Sun's Java, comments are welcome

Recently I installed Sun's Java j2sdk-1.4.2 on my Sarge and Sid sytems. I was not sure if a Debian package exists, and was not clear about Blackdown's Java (I had always used Sun's Java), so I just downloaded and installed the SDK in /usr/local. The steps I followed are given below. But the thing that is bothering a wee bit is that now I have this package that is not a deb package and it might eventually turn out to be a headache to maintain it; I am not sure, but just a thought. Comments are welcome.

Here are the steps I followed to install the SDK:
1) downloaded the j2sdk-1_4_2_04-linux-i586.bin (the SDK) from Sun's java page.

2) became root.

3) Moved the downloaded file to /usr/local/java (after making java in /usr/local)

4) made the bin file executable

5) executed teh bin file, answered yes, and the extracted dir j2sdk1.4.2_04 was
formed in /usr/local/java

6) made sym link named 'jdk' to this newly created dir:
/usr/local# ln -s java/j2sdk1.4.2_04 jdk

Now /usr/local/jdk points to the java dir. Just change the link to a new dir if
you want to install a new java distribution.

7) put these two lines in /etc/profile:
#added by HS, 13May2004, to include j2sdk
export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/jdk/bin
export JAVA_HOME=/usr/local/jdk

8) created link for mozilla in /usr/lib/mozilla:
ln -s /usr/local/jdk/jre/plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32/libjavaplugin_oji.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/

Java runs fine in Mozilla.

->HS
--
(Remove all underscores,_if any_, from my email address to get the correct one. Apologies for the inconvenience, but this is to reduce spam.)