Re: here's how I installed Sun's Java, comments are welcome

On Friday 14 May 2004 04:40, H. S. wrote:

> Recently I installed Sun's Java j2sdk-1.4.2 on my Sarge and Sid
> sytems. I was not sure if a Debian package exists, and was not clear
> about Blackdown's Java (I had always used Sun's Java), so I just
> downloaded and installed the SDK in /usr/local. The steps I followed
> are given below. But the thing that is bothering a wee bit is that now
> I have this package that is not a deb package and it might eventually
> turn out to be a headache to maintain it; I am not sure, but just a
> thought. Comments are welcome.

I've done roughly the same thing, except that I used update-alternatives
to create symlinks in /usr/bin/ and I installed the dummy packages.
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-java-faq/ch11.html#s11.2

I think you won't have package trouble because Debian packages never
install anything in /usr/local/ -- this directory's purpose is to hold
home-grown stuff.  (As far as I know -- please correct me if this is
wrong.)