Mount problem with SATA and Kernel 2.6.6

Hello,

I have a weird boot problem. I have a SATA harddisk on a Promise controler
with Nforce2 chipset. I have no problem to boot up with Kernel 2.4.18. All
works fine instead of the Sound system.

So I tried to use Kernel 2.6.6 as it have Nforce2 support. The problem is,
that I can't boot, because of an Kernel panic, "unable to mount root on
/dev/sda9".

Strange thing is that I have compiled in all Promise and SATA drivers. Also
during the boot process the SATA Hardisk are recognized as SDA with the
correct size. This is my last line regarding the SCSI system:

Attached scsi disk sda at scsi2, channel 0, id 0, lun 0

Where can be the problem? Any help is greatly apreciated. Do you know, if
the kernel-images provided from Debian are supporting SATA drives?

Danny