Re: Mount problem with SATA and Kernel 2.6.6

On Tuesday 11 May 2004 08:46, Danny wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a weird boot problem. I have a SATA harddisk on a Promise
> controler with Nforce2 chipset. I have no problem to boot up with Kernel
> 2.4.18. All works fine instead of the Sound system.
>
> So I tried to use Kernel 2.6.6 as it have Nforce2 support. The problem
> is, that I can't boot, because of an Kernel panic, "unable to mount root
> on /dev/sda9".
>
> Strange thing is that I have compiled in all Promise and SATA drivers.
> Also during the boot process the SATA Hardisk are recognized as SDA with
> the correct size. This is my last line regarding the SCSI system:
>
> Attached scsi disk sda at scsi2, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
>
> Where can be the problem? Any help is greatly apreciated. Do you know, if
> the kernel-images provided from Debian are supporting SATA drives?
>
> Danny

What is your file system type for /?  Do you have the proper driver compiled
into your kernel?  If not, are you using an initial ram disk, and does the
initrd have the file system driver included?

If you want to use 2.6.6 with Debian compile options, you could always wait
until it's available, or install 2.6.5, copy the config, make oldconfig,
then add in your SATA drivers.

Justin Guerin