Re: disks are hot hot hot

On Tue, 2004-05-11 at 09:35, Antony Gelberg wrote:
> Hi all,
> I've recently built my first ever server with a pre-compiled kernel (2.6.4
> from backports.org).  I had two 160GB SATA disks which both failed after only
> a couple of months.  I found this extremely strange, unless they were
> from a bad batch (not likely in this day and age).  They've gone back to
> my supplier as faulty anyway.
> One thing I did notice is that the disks were rather hot, abnormally imo.
> The server is hardly stressed, as it's pretty much providing DNS, SMTP,
> and IMAP for all of one user!  :)  Motherboard is an ASUS A7N8X.
> What I am wondering is, is there some type of power saving mode /
> setting that I might have missed, a module perhaps?  Or do these new
> fangled disks just run very hot?  I've replaced them with two Samsung
> 160GB PATAs, and they're quite warm after only an hour or so, but
> admittedly they are doing a RAID sync.

I'm guessing you're using 7200 RPM or better disks. I've never seen a
7200 RPM disk that didn't run rather warm. Some get hotter than others,
but they're all rather hot. I have, in the last 10 months, replaced 5
drives, all of which failed within about a month of getting them. I was
also having some heat issues with the computer in general. I added two
more case fans and got a couple of hard drive heatsinks. They're copper,
about the same size as a drive, and have two fans on the bottom. They
attach to the bottom of the drive and have an in-line power coupler that
you can put between the power supply and the drive itself. I got them
for $10 (US) a piece and since then have not had a single drive failure
or heat problem. YMMV of course.

Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837