Re: Scheduling problems

On Fri, May 07, 2004 at 02:22:50PM +0100, Chris Boot said
> Hi,
>
> I'm having several problems concerning scheduling on my linux box. I'm
> running it as a server and therefore I'd like it to be as reliable as
> possible, but several niggling factors force me to reboot the box
> relatively often.
>
> The biggest problem I have is if there is no CPU idle time (as reported
> by top(1)) processes take a very long time to start up, and sometimes
> even fail to start entirely. I can trigger this very easily and it is
> very reproducible. I tried to run the Distributed.net client at some
> point but it ground my system to a halt (even nice'd to 19). This
> prevents me from logging in using SSH to kill the offending process, or
> checking my email, or any other task that requires starting processes.

You say below that you have 1GB of RAM, are you using highmem?  This is
all I can think of, and would be a kernel bug...do you see anything
related on http://bugzilla.kernel.org/?

> The next biggest problem is related to the above, I think. When I
> connect to my box using SSH, and the connection is broken somehow, the
> SSHd process takes up all the available CPU after just a couple of
> seconds. All I need to do to trigger this is to connect to the server,
> then kill the SSH client process. After a few seconds, the server
> process reaches 99.9% CPU usage:
>
> [bootc@arcadia bootc]$ pa | grep notty
> bootc    24408 99.9  0.4 10688 3928 ?        R    14:15   0:38 sshd:
> bootc@notty
> bootc    24448  0.0  0.0  1576  496 pts/7    S+   14:16   0:00 grep
> notty

No idea about this, I can't imagine why SSH would suddenly take so much
CPU time.  Is there anything in the ssh Debian bug list about this?

--
Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org> | mlspam@ertius.org  |  Do I look like I want a CC?
Words of the day:  Ron Brown Lon Horiuchi enigma nitrate argus Freeh government