Re: How much disk space do I allot for different distros ?

On Thu, May 06, 2004 at 06:31:47PM +0530, Sanjay Chigurupati said
> Hi,
> I am thinking of allocating space for different distros on my 40 GB hard
> disk at home.
>
> a) Have a 4.5 GB for  XP ( dont flame)
> b) plan on 1.5 GB for backup ( Important files like resume and other docs
> in case I remove XP and put somethin else)
> c) Debian woody - 10 GB ( Is this too much)

10gb is a lot of space for debian software...I have loads of packages
(1689, in fact) and my / only uses about 4GB.  This is with /home on a
separate partition, however...

> d) Gentoo version 1.4  ( 2 cds)  - 5 GB  (  Is this sufficient)

Depends what you're using it for.  Note that Debian's X packages take >
4GB to build these days, so I'd ask a gentooite how much space they
recommend, first.

> g) RH 9 - 7 GB ( is this 2 much) - plan to do some development for SANE

I imagine this would be plenty of space, but asking a RH person would be
a good idea.

> h) LFS  ( Linux from Scratch) - 4 GB

The same deal with gentoo here, you need extra space to build things.

--
Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org> | mlspam@ertius.org  |  Do I look like I want a CC?
Words of the day: smuggle Delta Force Pakistan Firewalls Iraq BATF CDMA rs9512c