RE: ppp/diald networking dying under heavy IDE (or CPU?) load

> > Could it be by any chance that the NIC and the ide controller
> and also the
> > serial port controller are hooked up on the same IRQ?
>
> At least according to /proc/interrupts, the serial port doesn't seem to
> be sharing interrupts:
>
> # more /proc/interrupts
>             CPU0       CPU1
>    0:    1924074          0          XT-PIC  timer
>    1:      13204          0          XT-PIC  keyboard
>    2:          0          0          XT-PIC  cascade
>    3:     490726          0          XT-PIC  serial
>    5:          0          0          XT-PIC  eth0
>    8:          3          0          XT-PIC  rtc
>   10:          0          0          XT-PIC  CMI8738-MC6
>   11:      53222          0          XT-PIC  ide2, ide3
>   12:     125384          0          XT-PIC  PS/2 Mouse
>   14:    3696354          0          XT-PIC  ide0
>   15:     121555          0          XT-PIC  ide1
> NMI:          0          0
> LOC:    1922900    1924053
> ERR:       3287
> MIS:          0
> #

Try it this way pls.....

Directly after your BIOS has loaded you'll get a list with all your devices
& their path on the PCI bus and also on the right the irqs which are used by
the devices, what does this tell you? To stop the loading process simply
press pause :-)

Are there any devices which share/have the same number?

> I was thinking that it was only disks on my ide0 and ide1 controllers
> (ports?) (for which I had disabled DMA to avoid horrible file system
> corruption) that were involved with network problems, but I need to see
> if things differ for disks on my ide2 and ide3 controllers (a Promise
> Ultra100/TX2 card).

Hmh, I don't quite get that, do you mean you've got an ide pci card of some
sort? The thing is, at least with older machines that the bus speed is not
high enough, so getting lots of network pakets and using an additional ide
pci card (even worse on a shared slot) could cause such an effect. Intense
work on 4 harddiscs and 1 or 2 network cards, could result in high cpu usage
and, how to say that? high bus activity.....! Which also means that Requests
from other "lower" devices on the systembus are "dropped".... at least held
back.

It's not so easy to explain it in English, I hope you get what I mean :/

> I am getting occasional "kernel: PPP: VJ decompression error" in my
> logs.  Might that result from dropped characters from a buffer
> overrun (e.g., if the CPU is too busy doing PIO disk I/O to service
> the serial port frequently enough)?

Sorry I don't know anything about PPP :-(

Simmel