Re: ppp/diald networking dying under heavy IDE (or CPU?) load

Jens Simmoleit wrote:

Hi Daniel :-)

Is there a known reason why heavy IDE load (or possibly heavy CPU
load in copying disk to disk) would cause network connections over
ppp and diald to die?

Could it be by any chance that the NIC and the ide controller and also the
serial port controller are hooked up on the same IRQ?

At least according to /proc/interrupts, the serial port doesn't seem to
be sharing interrupts:

# more /proc/interrupts
           CPU0       CPU1
  0:    1924074          0          XT-PIC  timer
  1:      13204          0          XT-PIC  keyboard
  2:          0          0          XT-PIC  cascade
  3:     490726          0          XT-PIC  serial
  5:          0          0          XT-PIC  eth0
  8:          3          0          XT-PIC  rtc
 10:          0          0          XT-PIC  CMI8738-MC6
 11:      53222          0          XT-PIC  ide2, ide3
 12:     125384          0          XT-PIC  PS/2 Mouse
 14:    3696354          0          XT-PIC  ide0
 15:     121555          0          XT-PIC  ide1
NMI:          0          0
LOC:    1922900    1924053
ERR:       3287
MIS:          0
#

I was thinking that it was only disks on my ide0 and ide1 controllers
(ports?) (for which I had disabled DMA to avoid horrible file system
corruption) that were involved with network problems, but I need to see
if things differ for disks on my ide2 and ide3 controllers (a Promise
Ultra100/TX2 card).

I am getting occasional "kernel: PPP: VJ decompression error" in my
logs.  Might that result from dropped characters from a buffer
overrun (e.g., if the CPU is too busy doing PIO disk I/O to service
the serial port frequently enough)?

Daniel