Re: [SPAM] Re: [SPAM] Re: openldap and debian

> > I am installing from official sources(debian).
> >
> > I did apt-get install ldap-server and apt-get install slapd, both say
they
> > need to install these files.  The xfree86 stuff.  I don't even have x
> > installed.
>
> OK. ldap-server is a virtual package provided by slapd. Using
> "apt-rdepends slapd" (package: apt-rdepends), it appears that the X
> dependencies are being pulled in by the libiodbc2 package.
>
> Basically this should be considered a bug. However, for what it's worth,
> libiodbc2 only has this dependency in stable/woody. The libiodbc2
> library does not list these dependencies in the unstable version.
>
> I assume that the xlibs and libgtk1.2 dependencies for libiodbc2 are
> just compile time options for libiodbc2.
>
> So, that leaves three options. One is to use libiodbc2 from testing or
> unstable. However, since pulling in libiodbc2 from testing or unstable
> would (from what I can tell) involve upgrading your libc6 to testing or
> unstable, that really isn't an option.
>
> A second option is to recompile the libiodbc2 package for woody and
> configure whichever compile-time options are needed to not include
> support for whatever is pulling in those dependencies.
>
> A third option is to download the .deb for your architecture from
> http://packages.debian.org/stable/libs/libiodbc2 and force install it
> with dpkg without installing those dependencies. I would think it should
> still run.
>
> Maybe others see something that I've missed.
>
> Which of these options sounds best to you? Ask here if you need
> assistance with whatever you choose.
>
> dircha

I just downloaded the tarball from openldap.org and compiled it.  It works
just fine. The only thing I don't like about  this though, is that it makes
it harder to keep openldap updated(correct me if I'm wrong).  With a .deb
file I could use apt to automatically(I think) update ldap.  With a tarball,
I have to manually pull download updated file and recompile it.

Is this not true?

Thanks for your reply.
Mike