Re: xserver-xfree86 fiasco!

On Sat, May 08, 2004 at 12:17:54PM -0500, Kent West wrote:
> Kevin Mark wrote:
>

> >Hi all,
> >I used dpkg -X xserver-xfree86 to install the files for X to run BUT
> >xserver-xfree86 is still not in the status database. It exits with a
> >error #64.  And I can not install x-window-system and x-window-system-core.
> >Does anyone know where I can get complete info about this apt/dpkg error
> >short of reading source code!
> >-Kev
> >

> Ahhh. dpkg is used to install single packages, and doesn't take care of
> dependencies. You want to use a front-end for dpkg, such as apt-get or
> aptitude. Try "apt-get install x-window-system".
>
> --
> Kent
Hi Kent,
I normally use aptitude or synaptic or apt-get.
I used dpkg because the others failed.
'dpkg -X' does not update the packaging system like dpkg -i or apt-get
does, it is basically like 'tar -xvf pkg.tar'
This issue is not dependencies, its other problems like the package
database integrety or something more obscure.
-Kev