Re: Upgrading Debian

On Friday 07 May 2004 11:06 pm, cr wrote:

> > year or two.  Grabbing new stuff by modem just takes patience.  It helps
> > if you don't pay for your connectivity by the hour too.

> Ah.   I do (or rather, I have a fixed number of hours prer month on
> dial-up).

Gack.  Well, I suppose your original statement must be reaffirmed in your case
then.  It definitely eats time.

> Rather more significantly, I only have one telephone line - so when my
> computer's on line, phone ain't working.   *And* I can never guarantee the

In my case, it helps that nobody ever calls except spammers anyway.  The phone
being busy is no big deal.  In fact, I miss being on the phone all the time.
Now it rings, and I have to deal with spammers.  :(

> line won't drop for some reason, so leaving the thing running overnight
> isn't really a solution.

I had horrible problems with my line, and I thought they were all the phone
company's fault.  Turned out that the connections outside in the box were
corroded.  I cleaned them up and went from 28.8 being typical, with frequent
drops, to being able to stay connected for hours at 50.66.  It made a big
difference, and it was a five minute fix.  I was astonished that it turned
out to be so simple.  (In my case, we had a huge amount of rain, and my
connection was going to pot on rainy days.  It was fine after a couple dry
days.  I figured there was water getting into some little green box somewhere
along the way.)

> And it isn't as if I'm the _only_ person living
> in this house.....    I can contemplate a 5MB download, *very*
> occasionally, but that's my limit.

I make the house payments, so anybody else living here can get over it.  :)

> So, for me, spending a few bucks to get the CD's posted to me is much less
> hassle and takes much less of my time.
>
> Obviously, this depends on individual circumstances.

Indeed.  For me it was a question of time.  36 hours is a long time, but still
faster than waiting several days for CDs to arrive in the mail.  Cheaper too,
for me.

--
Michael McIntyre  ----   Silvan <dmmcintyr@users.sourceforge.net>
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/