Re: Upgrading Debian

On Sat, 08 May 2004 14:30, Silvan wrote:
> On Friday 07 May 2004 10:21 pm, John Hasler wrote:
> > cr writes:
> > > Yes, sitting behind a 56k modem (or a 28k which is what I'm stuck with
> > > when line noise sets in!), a major upgrade of several packages is
> > > really only practical off CD's.
> >
> > I don't find that to be the case.
>
> Me neither.  When I dist-upgraded to Sarge from Woody, it was rather
> painful. I think it took 36 hours or so to get everything.  After that, I
> used an "update early, update often" philosophy.  I usually only had to get
> a thing or two, but it did get ugly a few times when there was a glibc
> update or a new version of X.
>
> I tried to stay away from packages that kept changing pointlessly.
> Download the kernel source six times because people kept changing things
> related to extremely obscure options that didn't affect me anyway, for
> example.
>
> I won't say it was a wonderful experience, but I got by that way for a year
> or two.  Grabbing new stuff by modem just takes patience.  It helps if you
> don't pay for your connectivity by the hour too.

Ah.   I do (or rather, I have a fixed number of hours prer month on dial-up).

Rather more significantly, I only have one telephone line - so when my
computer's on line, phone ain't working.   *And* I can never guarantee the
line won't drop for some reason, so leaving the thing running overnight isn't
really a solution.    And it isn't as if I'm the _only_ person living in this
house.....    I can contemplate a 5MB download, *very* occasionally, but
that's my limit.

So, for me, spending a few bucks to get the CD's posted to me is much less
hassle and takes much less of my time.

Obviously, this depends on individual circumstances.

cr