Re: sid or sarge where I am

On 6 May 2004, clive@clivemenzies.co.uk wrote:

> On (06/05/04 16:36), Uwe Brauer wrote:
> Check your sources list: /etc/apt/sources.list
>
> If you have both testing and unstable sources in there then you
> aren't actually running either but the Knoppix distro which includes
> both.  If you want to revert to one distro, it is probably safer to
this is my case
> only have unstable in your sources.list.  and do apt-get update
> followed by apt-get dist-upgrade.

Thanks, I see. I was not aware that one could mix the distributions.
(I understand now that there is nothing like apt-get
-which-distribution)

I thought, if one starts with woody do an say

apt-get -t unstable install xemacs

Debian would not only install xemacs and all the packages which are
necessary to run this xemacs version, but would upgrade the entire
distribution.

I find the  mixture  of distribution a  little  confusing and  may  be
dangerous.   Anyhow  this  is   subject   of an   entirely   different
discussion.